Research Output per year
I am a Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineer with over 20 years’ experience in Quality and Performance Management, Organisational Behaviour and National Culture. I have worked as a researcher in Fraunhofer Institute in Germany after my first degree, in Spain as a consultant and in Scotland as a Quality Engineer and Local Authority officer.
My first degree is on Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineer. I completed an MSc on Quality Management in the University of Paisley after being awarded a competitive scholarship by the Greek State. The scholarship allowed me to continue my postgraduate studies for a PhD on the area of Quality and Performance Management combined with the impact of National Culture on manufacturing companies practice.
I have worked in manufacturing and service sectors with one of the previous roles as a Quality and Service Review officer in a local authority where I applied lean management principles and quality improvement methods in both Housing and Finance Services.
I am a Chartered Quality Professional from the Chartered Quality Institute and a member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology. I am also a certified EFQM assessor, PRINCE2 practitioner and previously ISO9000 auditor.
Area of academic expertise - outline
My research interests are Quality Management, Performance Management, the impact of National Culture on International Business Models, Equalities and Circular Economy.
Engineering Management is also a topic that I am very keen to research – it combines the technical and scientific knowledge of Engineering with “softer” issues such as motivation, human elements, communication, sustainability, globalisation and cultural influences. I think that since we prepare graduates to work in a global environment we have a duty to prepare them to do so with providing more than just the technical expertise.
I have recently developed an interest for STEM education in Primary and Secondary schools and more specifically how we can shape young minds and aspire for learning and following a career in STEM and particular in Engineering. I strongly believe that there is a missing link between primary schools and science and I hope to investigate it further.
The reported lack of female engineers (as well as across all STEM areas) is something that I am currently involved and I would like to deepen my knowledge and expertise by doing further research and by bringing my personal experience on the issues.
Circular Economy is one of my the research areas that I would like to explore and potentially link with international experts that they have an established expertise on the subject
Current research activities
- Critical Success Factors for Building Manufacturing Capacity in Uganda, Global Challenges Research Fund Seed Funding, Sponsored by the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Making Engineering A Family Affair, Public Engagement Award Sponsored by the Royal Academy of Engineering,
- Trailing the Trailblazer, the life of Dorothee Pullinger, Culture and Heritage Fund by Renfrewshire Council,
- The Social Fabric– Engagement with the Materials of Art, Craft, and Industry. interdisciplinary activity at UWS on the interaction of People and Materials in research, industry, art, heritage, education and leisure. Starting at a local level, the project will extend nationally and globally
- Continuous Improvement in the Public Sector (in collaboration with the colleagues form the School of Sport and Science)
- Quality, Lean and Energy Saving (PhD studentship supervision)
- Gender gap in STEM
- Circular Economy/Industrial Ecology
Desired research direction
- STEM in Primary Education
- STEM in Secondary Education
- National Culture effect on STEM uptake
- Gender issues in Engineering
- Engineering Management in a global perspective
- Interdisciplinary projects on Engineering, Social Sciences, Culture and Arts
- Sustainability and remanufacturing
Other areas of expertise available for knowledge exchange
Business Performance and Planning Officer, Renfrewshire CouncilSep 2014 → Jul 2015
Service Review & Development Officer, Renfrewshire CouncilApr 2011 → Dec 2016
Performance Officer, Renfrewshire CouncilDec 2008 → Oct 2009
Lecturer, University of PaisleyJan 2006 → Sep 2006
Research & Information Officer, Renfrewshire CouncilMay 2005 → Nov 2008
Quality Engineer, Hoover CandyJan 2003 → Jan 2004
Quality Management Researcher, Fraunhofer-Institut für Arbeistwirtschaft und Organisation - Außenstelle STEPJul 1997 → Mar 1998
- TA Engineering (General). Civil engineering (General)
- Engineering Management
- Quality assurance
- Performance Analysis
- TS Manufactures
- Operations Management
- quality improvement
- HD28 Management. Industrial Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- National Culture
- HA Statistics
- Statitstical Process Control
- HT Communities. Classes. Races
- National Cutlure
- L Education (General)
- STEM in prmary schools
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution
Activities per year
Activity: Other › Types of Public engagement and outreach - Work on advisory panels for social community and cultural engagement
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Participation in workshop, seminar, course
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Participation in conference
21/01/19 → 8/02/19
5 items of Media coverage, 1 Media contribution
Press/Media: Public Engagement Activities
16/10/18 → 27/10/18
4 items of Media coverage, 1 Media contribution
Press/Media: Public Engagement Activities
UWS Academics in search for Dorothee Pullinger's Paisley connection: Featuring in My Story of Paisley in Paisley 2021 for the UK City of Culture
5/10/17 → 20/10/17
2 items of Media coverage, 1 Media contribution