DescriptionSchool of Nursing, Midwifery and Health, University of the West of Scotland
Critical Thinking is a concept that is taught in many forms in nursing education in Scottish Higher Education Institutions. Defining the concept itself can be challenging (Moon, 2001). Reflective practice, critical appraisal, applied critical thinking techniques and more are used in the teaching, learning and assessment of nursing students. This paper argues that there is an untapped potential for education and beyond through the recognition of issues surrounding critical thinking and the positive actions that could be derived from educational strategies.
Key words: Critical thinking, nurse education, culture, dissemination
This paper/poster will:
1. Critically examine the learning, teaching and assessment methods applied to the concept of critical thinking in Scottish nurse education
2. Examine possible issues, anomalies and tensions that may arise from the learning teaching and assessment of critical thinking in Scottish nurse education
3. Identify the untapped potential of critical thinking in Scottish nurse education
4. Propose strategies that would enhance a culture of critical thinking in nurse education and related areas
5. Explore ideas surrounding the dissemination of learning derived from critical thinking in a Scottish, UK and international context.
1. The concept of critical thinking in Scottish nurse education will be examined and key components identified
2. The challenging factors that surround the use of critical thinking in Scottish nurse education will be highlighted and acknowledged
3. The potential benefits of a strategy for the teaching, learning and assessment of critical thinking in nurse education will be acknowledged.
4. The value of a dissemination strategy for the sharing of products of critical thinking in nurse education at home and further afield will be recognized.
Moon J. (2008) Critical Thinking: an exploration of theory and practice. Abindon: Routledge
|Period||30 Nov 2006|
|Event title||Scottish Educational Research Association: Improving Education Through Research|
|Location||Glasgow , United Kingdom|
|Degree of Recognition||National|